The Parent Practice is regularly invited to give parenting tips and guidance to the press and television about many aspects of parenting in today's world. The Parent Practice specialises in those everyday parenting issues which every family faces and has come up with tried and tested strategies for dealing with them. The Parent Practice is a leading voice on parenting matters in the UK and beyond.
Melissa Hood reponds to parents' questions:
1. My five-year-old daughter dissolves into tears when even the littlest thing doesn't go her way. How can I make her more resilient - and stop all this crying?!
2. My seven-year-old son acts badly whenever his grandparents come over and it's creating tension - they don't get to see what a sweet boy he can be. Could there be a reason why he acts up whenever they come over? And how can I make him change his behaviour?
3. Sometimes kids just have to do what they’re told. If my child is making a huge fuss and refusing to go to bed surely I’ll just be rewarding misbehaviour if I cuddle her and placate her?
4. Getting ready to leave the house in the mornings is a complete nightmare in our house. Both my children are so unhelpful and I end up yelling at them which is a horrible start to our day. What can I do to have a calmer beginning to the day?
Melissa Hood writes about how to bring a growth mindset to raising children.
Melissa Hood responds to parents' questions:
1. My 8-year-old will not pick up his things no matter how much I tell him he has to. What do you suggest?
2. I can't get my teenager up in the morning, we are always fighting about getting to school on time. He uses his computer games till all hours. Can you help?
3. When my mother-in-law comes over she shouts all the time to my daughter to do things and she takes no notice what can I do?
Here's what really works to get a difficult kid to behave.
By Elaine Halligan
Elaine Halligan is interviewed by Paul Dicks of Pivotal Education and discusses her experiences of raising her son, Sam, diagnosed at an early age with a range of learning difficulties, and about her book 'My Child's Different'.
Lucy Denyer interviews Elaine and Sam Halligan about Elaine's new book 'My Child's Different (published AUg 2018)
Elaine Halligan talkes to Greame Mac about getting your child prepared for their first day at a new school
Be kept informed about events, offers and top tips for parents. And get a FREE parenting guide.
68 Thurleigh Road London SW12 8UD
Phone: 0208 673 3444